Tuesday, December 29, 2009

OMFG - Nintendo DS is broken


OMFG!!!

I just finished playing my daily dose of Animal Crossing and proceeded to insert the game cartridge for Cooking Mama 3. I heard a crack, snap and a pop. I looked and the right side of the lid popped out!!!  It's cracked all around the right button. I can't believe this. Mike says it's because I play it too much.

I am devastated that my DS broke. Many of you may think...who cares, it's just a gaming device.  Well, this gaming device means a lot to me since it was given to me by my late brother. It was his. He lent it to me back in January 2007 and since I was so reluctant to give it back to him, he let me keep it and bought himself a new one. Ever since then, he has bought me Cooking Mama 1 & 2, Nintendogs, Cake Mania and many more. He also supplied me with endless games and even traded them in for me when I finished them. To me, I wanted this DS to last me forever because it meant that a piece of my brother was always with me. Technically, it still works, the lid will just be hanging off when I play it.

But something just dawned on me. I am holding on to electronic or materialistic things that belonged to my brother because I feel like if I hang on to them, I will still have a part of my brother with me. I realized this is very superficial of me. No matter what electronics die on me, it doesn't mean that I am growing further away from my brother. Those things don't matter because regardless of them, I will always hold a place in my heart for him. TV may stop working, Macbook may conk out, iPhone may reset, all that doesn't matter. It doesn't mean that I am losing bits of him. I will always have Gino and memories of him in my mind and heart and no gadgets can replace those.

Now with that said, I will look for a new DS (hopefully a cheap one) and retire the one that Gino gave me. I will put it with all of his other things I have kept. Gino - wherever you are, sorry I broke your DS. It has travelled with me everywhere and been with me always. I guess it's time for a new one. If you were still here and I told you about this, I know that in an hour you would be at my place with a new one.

4 comments:

  1. o0 Ohh Leesh, I'm soo sorry to hear about your DS! I hope that you can replace it soon <3 Happy new year to you and your family! x ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I'm sorry to hear that, Leesh!! :(
    Especially when you've got such a lot of feelings with this special DS.

    So your right lid is broken now, meh! I'm actually waiting for that time too with my DS. As you may know, my lid also has got a crack at the hinge and it's also making a loud noise everytime I open it :(
    My DS is same old like yours, so I think maybe to my birthday it's time to get a new one :P
    I wish you a happy New Year and please take care!
    Mayu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mayu: I remember that we have the same one. My DS made a weird noise when I opened it and then it popped and the lid fell off. I am sorry to say, it's going to happen to yours soon.

    I was thinking of buying a DSi but it's too expensive for me, so I purchased a silver DS today. The guy at the store said the old white DS was made of plastic therefore it cracks easily. I loved the white one. I will truly miss it.

    Yes, you should treat yourself to a new one for your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie: I was pretty upset last night but I bought a new DS today. I can start playing again. Hopefully we can play sometime soon since you are on Christmas break. I still have to meet your friend Shania.

    ReplyDelete